1 October 2013

Dreamtime Designs Very FIRST Craft Challenge!

It's an exciting day today! It's the very first challenge over at Dreamtime Designs Craft Challenge! 



We are a challenge blog like no other which you'll probably have discovered if you came here from the main blog!
If not, be sure to check it out and enter, it will really help you push your creativity to new levels and I'm so glad to be on the team of such wonderful talented ladies!

Here's my sneak peek of my DT creation for this month's challenge!


The challenge brief is as follows:

Challenge Part A: Answer the following 5 questions

1) Where do you live?
2) What do you love most about where you live?
3) Who do you share this special place with?
4) What is your favourite season there and why?
5) What is your most loved thing to do or place to visit and why?

Challenge Part B:  Create your design/project that reflects the questions above

Challenge Part C: Take a photo or two of anything that relates to your above discussion so they can be included in your challenge post.

I spent a couple of weeks thinking about what I was going to do before I decided to make a start, and with a few changes of plan along the way, it was quite a big project for me!

I started out with this...


and ended up with this....!
First of all, I used Tim Holtz Distress Stains to colour the wood. 
Then I used a dry paintbrush and a small amount of beige coloured acrylic paint and brushed over the whole thing to give it a shabby look. 
I decorated the 'rooms' one at a time to make it feel not quite so daunting! 
The patterned papers are mostly from my scraps drawer, felt good to finally make use of some of the tiny sections of paper I can't bear to part with yet! 

Question 1 - Where do you live? 
I've shown this with the UK flag in the box on the top left of this pic.
Question 2 - What do you love most about where you live? 
I'm not exactly enthralled with the state of the UK at the moment so I've taken this quite literally, I love my house! This is shown with the shape of my box :)

 Question 3 - Who do you share this special place with?
My Husband, our cats Amber and Silver, and our newest addition Tahlia!

 Question 4 - What is your favourite season there and why?
I love the Wintertime when the evenings are drawing in and having the heating on so the house gets all warm and cosy! I've shown this by using frantage embossing powders on the roof to look like snow!

Question 5 - What is your most loved thing to do?
I'm very much an indoor girl so my most favourite thing to has to be Crafting! Whether it's cardmaking, colouring, altering, or just relaxing with my cross stitch, I aim to 'do something creative every day'

Well done if you got this far and dont forget to visit the main DDCC blog and leave some love for the rest of the Design Team, they have all made wonderful creations to inspire you!

Also used in my project:
Quote and Union Jack Stamps by IndigoBlu
Shrink Plastic
Tim Holtz adhesive foil sheets (on square photos)
Tim Holtz fragments plastic squares (on square photos)
MS Butterfly and Border Punches
Papers from My Mind's Eye and Jillibean Soup
Whimsy, Spellbinders Floral Ovals and Memory Box dies
Resin Embellishments, Ribbon, flowers and lace from stash

I would like to enter this into the following challenges:

Just Add Ink - Bows
Wags 'n Whiskers - sparkle
2 Sisters - anything goes
Sweet Stampin - things with wings
Glitter n Sparkle - add some metal (clock mechanism)
Hobbycutz - Lace and pearls
PanPastel UK Challenge - anything goes
Thanks for visiting me today :)

If you like what you see please stop by and like my Facebook Page where most of my creations are for sale!

22 comments:

Joanne said...

Ahhh Gemm, this is so sweet and adorable! What a wonderful keepsake for your and your family. You have showcased your life in a perfect way, all the meaningful things you love! I re4ally like the house shaped shadow box, it looks great! SUPER job on our 1st project! Hugs, Joanne

Unknown said...

Gemma,
I can't tell you how much I love your project. It's so sweet and pretty just like you and Tahlia!! You have put so much of your heart into this and it shows.
Is it a working clock? Because that just completely takes it over the top in my book! I love projects that can be enjoyed all of the time....no pun intended.
I love the frantage on the roof of your house and have to agree that when my house is all snuggly during the winter it's one of my favorite times too. I just feel so blessed to be in my warm home, safe and surrounded by love.
It's been a great month getting to know you! There are so many exciting things ahead for us at DDCC...can't wait to share them with all of you girls!
hugs--
Roberta
Dreamtime Designs Craft Challenge Design Team
Queen Bee Paper Crafts

Julie Gleeson said...

Hi Gemma, Wow I love your project! And so clever that it is also something functional like a clock, it will look fabulous on your wall!
It is lovely to see the photos of your gorgeous family! The techniques and embellishments you have used are wonderful! I can see we will all be asking for tips! Hugs Julie xox

Cindy said...

I love it Gem, You did such a nice job. I really love the way you have reflected your live in de wooden house. I think it is amazing! It is such an unique creation! Hugs, Cindy

The-Butterfly said...

Oh wow gem! I don't know where to look first! So many gorgeous elements everywhere! I must have looked at this three times already! I think my fave is your little girls pic, the delicate white flowers and corner details are so pretty! And love the big bow! That'll look gorgeous on display! Great job!


Dreamtime Designs Craft Challenge

Coloured Imaginations

Mikha Adriani said...

Hi Gemma! You've done such an amazing job! :D love all of it. It's really brilliant making a house; it's like we could just understand it without you telling us the explanation <3 and, Tahlia is soooo cute!! I want to take her home, LOL.
Hugs, Mikha

Jay said...

This is such an amazing project honey. I can imagine how many hours you have spent making this and even incorporated your photos into the project too. Its very inventive and I love the idea. I'm not overly enthralled with the state of the Uk at the moment ,either. Maybe that is why both our creations are based around our homes??? Its a wonderful keepsake and functional too. I love your little ones picture, she is a real little beauty, just like her mum. Big Cuddles Jay xxx

Tracy said...

What a beautiful heartfelt creation Gem..beautiful pictures, embellies and explanation along the way.
Thank you so much for sharing yourself and your project along at the Premium Craft Brands Challenge this week and good luck!
Big hugs
Tracy
xoxo

coops said...

oh wow this is just amazing gemma.fabulous details and the star of the show is your little girl, she is so beautiful :D

xx coops xx

Sam K said...

Well Gemma, what can I say. This project gave me a real warm fuzzy feeling as its all so lovely.

The house shaped box that you started with is great, can I ask where you snuck it from please? Lol...I think thats all i've asked all the DT when looking at their projects, but thats because you ladies have all done such a great job, thats its inspried me and made me want to try or get things to!

I luuuurrrve the paw print ribbon/fabric used up the sides of the rooms with the cat pictures in ...Puurrffect...(If you pardon the play on words :P)

Tahlia is so adorable and I love the fact she has a cute little pink room to match her cute little outfit :)

What a great idea to make this into a clock too.

Absolutely wonderful project Gem, hugs xx

Little Pear Tree
Dreamtime Designs Craft Challenge
My Pinterest

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

What a fabulous project, love all the detail you added! Thanks for sharing with us at Hobbycutz - good luck! Susan x

Sarah said...

Wow, wow, wow this is stunning Gemm, I love it x

~ginny said...

Wow - what a challenge! You found an incredibly creative way to meet the challenge for the new blog! Even meeting the theme was a daunting task for me to consider, let alone tackling the project you have done! I like that you said you took on one room at a time... super advice for life in general Gemma. I loved peeking into each room and inspecting all the details and I am so glad you shared your beautiful project in the “Add a Little Charm” Challenge at Craft Your Passion.
~ginny
Design Team - Craft Your Passion
RubberMAD at GettyCollection.com

Polkadoodles said...

THis is STUNNING! Thanks for joining us at Premium Crafts Challenge this week - good luck and wishing you all the best with your new challenge! x

Lisa Walsh @ www.papercraftbusiness.com said...

Hi Gemma,
Wow honey where to start. First off you have definitely given me the inspiration to create something like this. Even down to the functionality of this gorgeous project is amazing with the clock & such a beautiful keepsake. Love Tahlia she is soo cute :) Don't you just love it when you get to use your scraps stash? I know I do :) You have done a fantastic job on the challenge hun. Can't wait to see what you do with the next one :) Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Lisa.

Dreamtime Designs Blog
NEW Dreamtime Designs Craft Challenge
My designs @ Etsy

Donna said...

What an amazing project you've taken on, the house you've decorated is fabulous and I love all the special and personal touches you've added to it. Thanks for sharing it with us at Hobbycutz.
hugs
Donna xx

Kimberly S said...

What a fabulous shadowbox, and such a fun shape too. Such a beautiful job decorating it. Thanks so much for joining us for the Wags n Whiskers Challenge! hugs, Kimberly

Yolanda said...

Great project. I really like all the little details you put into it!
Thank you for joining us on the Sparkle:Glitter or Bling Challenge at Wags 'n Whiskers!
Yolanda DT

Sandra said...

Wow.
Love this challenge and how you've gone about.
I may have a go myself tho I'm unlikely to make anything so fabulous.
Thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Stampin'
xxx

Kim said...

Gorgeous project! Love the details. Your little girl is beautiful too!!!
Glad you joined us at SweetStampin'.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful project.You've put so much heart,soul and hard work into this.Such a beautifully detailed keepsake for you and your family.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week :D
Lisa x

Linda said...

This is so sweet, I love all the detail. Thanks for joining in with the Forever Challenge ..... good luck! Linda xx